Graduation Day, or, the end of the World as we know it

Warning: Melodrama ahead

The High School Graduation Day in Japan is a BIG DEAL. 

For those who have already gotten a place in a university, Graduation Day means they are basically set for life. The university that they enter will pave the way their life takes from now on. They just have to follow where the road leads.

For those who will go out into the working world, Graduation Day is bittersweet, but more bitter than sweet. From here on, they have to put away play, a relatively worry-free life, fun and games. At 18, they know they go out into the world to start right at the bottom - to be taught, forced, guided, shown how to navigate the extremely harsh working life of Japanese people. 

Most of the students I care about fall into the second category... and i can't deal with it. How can teachers sleep easy at night, sending their kids out into such a world? I'm probably being melodramatic, but it is truly hard for me to relinquish the care of my students to the world. I don't trust it, i never will, but i can't coddle and take care of them forever too.

So herein lies the paradox of teaching.: you are actually teaching them to leave you well, to live well, to make sure, get this, that they don't need you. AT ALL. Once someone becomes your student, you are teaching them how NOT to be your student. I wonder how and why  teachers all over the world haven't gone bonkers yet. 

Cos i'm feeling very much like it now.

Comments

  1. Hi there!

    I kind of stumbled upon your blog looking for information about C-NET, and I was hoping you might be able to help me! I'm currently a fourth year ALT on JET, and C-NET appeals to me! Osaka was actually my first choice when I first applied for JET, haha. Of course, I was placed far away from the big city (as I'm sure many others were)!

    Anyway, I was just wondering what the programme is like. How does it compare to JET? I assume it is quite competitive and perhaps difficult to get accepted into the programme. How does the job itself and the overall atmosphere compare to JET? Are there any striking differences?

    I apologize for posting something completely irrelevant! I would have to get my application in by May 23, and I just found out about it!

    Anyway, I've only ever experienced elementary and junior high school graduation ceremonies, which I'm sure are quite different... but it's always sad to see them go. I hope your former students are enjoying themselves right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again! Sorry to bother you, but I realize it may not be a good idea to talk about job-related info on your blog... so maybe you could just drop me a line whenever you have a chance? You can reach me at 9e9396eb@opayq.com
    I know it's a bit of a fishy address, but it's just to avoid spam. I made the mistake of posting my primary address before in public, and started getting tons of junk mail.
    Anyway, I really appreciate it. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I sent you an email a week ago maybe? Hope you got it and I hope the information helped you!

      Delete
    2. Thanks a lot for emailing me! I guess that thing didn't work as well as I thought it would... :P

      If it wouldn't be too much trouble, would you mind emailing me again? This time at kkorigan@gmail.com
      I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!!

      Delete

Post a Comment