Life after the BOE?

So, in this post, I'll be detailing what I did to continue teaching in Japan after I left the JET Programme. What's so special about this post, you ask? Well, if I were a citizen from any one of the Big Seven (what EFL job websites tend to call the seven major English-speaking countries in the world- USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland), this would be quite a redundant post. But I'm not. I'm Singaporean, and sadly, and I will say this bravely, Singaporeans do not have a good international rep for speaking English well. And though our first language is English, we don't make much that much of an impact as English speakers to be rated amongst the Big Seven.

While doing research for my job after JET, I came across one or two blog posts written by my fellow countrymen about Singaporeans teaching English in Japan. Precious few. Like this one here.  Which should have clued me in on how difficult it is for Singaporeans to find ESL teaching jobs in Japan. But NOOOOOOOOOOO... stuck in my sheltered 'everything has been going well for me' world, I had no  inkling of the torment I was about to go through.

Started my job search in January, right after I handed in my decision to leave JET.

What kind of jobs was I looking for?  I was looking for basically any English teaching job in an eikaiwa, public or private school. Any job that paid 200,000 yen a month (that's a little less than the average ALT pay), I applied for it. I didn't care if accommodation was provided or not, or if the hours were irregular. I JUST WANTED TO TEACH IN JAPAN, DAMMIT.

I applied to two Singaporean-run English schools in Kobe, met with the boss of one of them, but we both decided teaching children wasn't really my forte. Haha. Raffles English School is in Kobe, run by a Singaporean lady. The other one, Temasek, is a little more established, but more stressful to work in, I heard. Both schools make it a point to hire mostly Singaporeans, but they aren't big corporations, hence, they can't hire many people. By the time I applied to Temasek, they had already hired two new teachers. So, no luck there as well.

Fresh from having done CELTA the month before, I was psyched about English teaching. I was full of ideas, new teaching philosophies; I wanted to use what I'd learnt in CELTA. I was ready. There were tons of English teaching jobs in Japan, weren't there? Anyone would want me - a TRAINED (and i'm not talking only about CELTA) teacher with 5 years of teaching experience, 2 of which were for ESL teaching. I have some Japanese speaking ability. I am enthusiastic, looking for new challenges, ready to take on even jobs with sharp learning curves. Who wouldn't want me?

Turns out, NOBODY did. Serious. I must have sent out HUNDREDS of resumes, revised and rewrote resumes, cover letters - even got my JTEs to write recommendation letter after recommendation letter.

That happened from January to March. Then I started applying for ESL teaching in other countries. Nothing, no reply, even. I started getting depressed. If only I could get an interview, I thought,  once they talk to  me in an interview, they would want to hire me. Was it the way I wrote my resumes and cover letters? I sent them to friends to get them proof-read. I talked to friends who were also looking for jobs in Japan after JET.

Nothing.

All the way till May of this year. Then I gave up. And really got depressed. All my life, I had felt that being Singaporean had opened doors for me. (Ok, it has, it has. I mean, we're the only South-East Asian country allowed on JET. But hey, gimme a break, I was depressed!) And now, even though I had all these qualifications and experience, I couldn't get the one thing I wanted the most: a teaching job in Japan.

Disclaimer: I'm sure other people have had it worse than me, or they've likely gotten through this sorta thing without falling into depression (ok, i might have been a bit melodramtic) and I know I sound really whiny, spoilt and downright unpatriotic. But... I can 99% guarantee that anyone with a passport from the Big Seven with my kind of paper qualifications would get at least an interview, if not a job. I didn't even get no interviews! Even for jobs whose advertisements read: no experience needed.

Was it racism? I hardly think so. It wasn't a matter of skin colour, more like geography and passports. Ha. It was also a matter of awareness that good English speakers and teachers don't only come from the Big Seven.

I couldn't even be mad at those companies I applied to - I mean, seriously, if I had a business to run, I would want to advertise that my teachers come from the Big Seven, right? It's just plain business sense, and being a practical Singaporean brought up in a financial and business hub, I COULD UNDERSTAND THAT.

Little wonder why I fell into depression. All that frustration and nothing and nobody to let it all out on.

So after praying and working it all out: should i keep trying? or think that God was telling me to go back to Singapore and work there? After a few weeks of thinking and moping and praying... I reached the conclusion that God's Will was that, for now, I was to return to Singapore. I stopped fighting, stopped being frustrated, stopped wishing and hoping and being discontented, and then just told God, ok, You lead me now. Please. I'll just follow.

I was all ready to go back. Even started looking for jobs back in Singapore. Then, one day. I received an email from JCF, the JET Christian Fellowship, and that email said that the Osaka Prefectual BOE was looking for ALTs. The advertisement was out on June 5, and the closing date for the application was a week, 7 DAYS LATER. And I was going on a holiday within this period.

Well. What do you know. Hmmmm.... Thought about it. And when I came back from the holiday, I decided to apply for it. My JTEs, bless their hearts, sprang into action. The principal himself decided to sign my recommendation letter so as to give me a better chance. Everyone helped me and there was a flurry of activity, and I was so touched that they were helping me and hoping the best for me. I was so touched that at some point, I went from wanting to get the job for myself to wanting to get the job just so that their effort wouldn't go to waste.

So I sent the application in. And waited. Please, at least, just let me get the interview.












And that's a post for another day. :) Mata ne...

Comments

  1. I was ecstatic to read your post and know that Osaka is enlightened enough to take Singaporeans! There are a couple of ex-JETs I know who are currently on C-Net but one is from the US and the other wasn't a Big Seven but she was a unicorn. Good to know we have a fighting chance :)

    I have a small request. You said you got a CELTA, and based on something another JET told me last year, I figured you probably got it in Kobe. If that's the case, I have a presentation about CELTA that I do at the Skills Development Conference, but I didn't get it here so I couldn't give any real details about the course. Can I ask you some questions about your experience? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Sure! I did the CELTA in Kobe, at an organisation called Language Resources. Apparently, they're the only school here in Japan that offers CELTA.

    Ask away! I'll answer to the best of my abilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, thanks! So just a few off the top of my head now:

    1) What's the set-up like? Eg: is it an office or a language school, how many teachers, do they have books and resources for CELTA trainees etc.
    2) How were your trainers? The Language Resources website didn't have anything up about them or their background.
    2) What is the daily schedule like? Eg: did you start with TPs or peer evaluation or lectures?
    3) Who were your students? Were they all Japanese?
    4) How many hours did you spend on prep during the week, including on assignments?
    5) Would you advise a JHS/ES ALT with a full work-load (ie over 20 teaching hours a week) take the course? Were there any such ALTs in your batch?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just realized that the last question is a very badly-phrased situation-specific question. >< If you could just tell me if there were any JHS/ES ALTs in your batch instead, that'll be fine. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, here goes!

    1) It's both an office and a language school. Companies contact the teachers to teach business English classes for their employees. I'm not sure if they have normal conversation classes for interested parties, but I think they might. I had three trainers, and there was one administrator. They might have added to the ranks, though!

    2) All of the trainers have at least a DELTA and more than 10 years of teaching experience in Japan I think. Some have moved around the world quite a bit. They are professional and focused on training us. They are nice people too!

    3) The CELTA course that LR offers is a part-time course. Over 4 months, weekends only. Usually only on Saturdays, but when there's a long weekend, there're classes on Sunday as well.

    There are no lectures. LR keeps the classes small so only a max of 10 (or is it 12?) students are allowed to take the course at any one time. It's workshop-styled, there are many opportunities to ask questions and get them answered, interact with your classmates etc.

    On workshop only days, we would always start with the workshops, break for lunch, and then workshops again.

    On TP days, we would have TP in the mornings, then discussions about the TPs and workshops in the afternoons. Once or twice, we had TP sessions both in the morning and afternoon.

    4) Most of the students are Japanese, there are fewer men than women, and usually they are older folk around 50 to 60 or even 70 years of age. They're really cute and motivated to learn! Some of the higher-level (and younger) students are actually Japanese teachers of English, so they're already very good at English. Their purpose of attending the lessons are so that they can learn teaching methods and/or practice speaking English.

    5) Hmmm... I worked very hard during the CELTA period. I would say every TP I planned for took 3 to 5 hours. Lesson planning, getting materials, and thinking about them. There're readings to do as well. CELTA is not for the faint-hearted and the more effort you put in the more you get out of it.

    6) I was one of those ALTs with 18 hours of classes and private lessons, i.e. my workload was manageable, but I still sometimes had trouble getting CELTA stuff done. It was always a rush near the weekends. There was another ALT with more than 20 hours workload in school and many more private lessons than I gave, and she went through CELTA as well. None of us who took the course will say that CELTA is easy - i lost weight and sometimes had sleepless nights - but we all agree that CELTA was one of the best things that happened to us with regards to learning about teaching EFL. So, of course I recommend that ALTs take the CELTA course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your detailed answer! I'll be presenting on the CELTA again for our next SDC, so all your insights will help me make a better presentation. Very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello.
    I am an Indian. I just got into college and I am taking English Lit. as major and Psychology as minor.
    Are there any opportunities for me to find a job in Japan after completing college?
    Do Indians even get accepted as English teachers in Japan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      Hmmm... Things are slowly changing here so by the time you graduate from college it might be easier to get a job in Japan teaching English for people like us - and by us I mean people from countries which use English a lot but aren't in the Big Seven.

      My advice would be to apply to major English Conversation schools like Berlitz, ECC and Aeon. If you know anyone in Japan who has connections to a school, even better.

      I know a teacher who is from Kerala, so yes I think Indians are accepted, but like in the case of Singaporeans, there aren't very many English teachers from India here.

      If you can, try to come to Japan as an exchange student and you'll be able to learn more about English teaching here. all the best!

      Delete
  8. Hello.. i am keen in teaching in japan. But i do not have any english teaching cert and is expensive. Any idea if i can try my luck n try it out in japan ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,

      Hmmm... About 20 or 30 years ago (as my CELTA tutor told me), anyone whose first language was English could just fly to Japan, walk into any English Conversation School (AEON, Berlitz (maybe), Nova etc) and get a job teaching English.

      Now however, a TESOL, TEFL or CELTA cert is preferred. I think you can still try your luck, but competition is stiff! There are many English speakers who hold certifications in teaching ESL now in Japan. If you know anyone already teaching in an English conversation school, that would help!

      Good luck!

      Delete
    2. thanks for sharing. wow! anyway do you which school in singapore offer a good and cheaper certificate. this was so expensive at least 3k to 5k??

      Delete
    3. Hi Angela,

      So sorry this is soooo super late!

      Did you try the British Council in Singapore? Also, there are online TEFL courses, but as this web article (https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/are-online-tefl-courses-recognized-by-recruiters) explains, online courses may not be looked upon as favourably as 'proper' TEFL courses.

      I hope you made it to Japan in the two plus year since you asked this question!

      Delete
  9. Hello,

    I am a 31 year old Singaporean guy who is planning / researching to go Japan to teach English. I have no experience and have spent the couple of years working in the international trade industry at an MNC. Will there be opportunities for such age profile? Assuming I take the necessary courses and I am avid writer in poetry and was thinking I could also teach in the Creative Writing field. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dexter,

      Age isn't so much of an issue. You have relevant background actually - your work experience would be able to help you get a job teaching Business English. If you take the necessary courses, you should be able to get a job teaching English here, PROVIDED the schools are willing to take Singaporeans.

      I'm gonna break it down for you, rather bluntly :(. Unless you have an internationally accepted accent (read: sound angmoh), were educated or worked for a number of years in any of the Big 7 countries, chances are slim for Singaporeans to get a job as an English teacher in the private sector in Japan.

      Your best bet would be government run programmes like JET or MEXT.

      Also, ESL/EFL is quite different from Creative Writing. Here, the focus is on gaining proficiency in English, not developing creative use of English. That's a higher order skill that many Japanese don't have, not because they can't, but because they don't really need it. What the Japanese usually want to improve in is English speaking skills, because they want to communicate with foreigners or study in US/UK/Aus/Canada etc, work in the hospitality industries, need to communicate with English speaking colleagues etc. Few want to learn how to write well for self-expression - Japanese is still their go-to language for that, perhaps.

      I'm sorry I had to say that... I'm a Literature graduate myself, and I really miss good English writing here in Japan, but.... focussing on the learners and what they want to learn is part of being a good teacher, I feel. I hope my reply helped you in your research!

      All the best!

      Delete
    2. Hey, thanks for your prompt reply. Stay warm this winter. I will keep the idea open and let's see where this takes me. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi! So are you saying that I would have a better chance if I studied in England?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!

    I think if you had that information on your resume, employers would count that as an asset. But, as with all things, other factors also come into play. If you have all the necessary qualifications, a study stint in the UK would definitely be padding to your resume and you'd stand a much better chance than I would, I think.

    Interestingly though, I've come to think now that it's more than accent or geography that influence who Japanese schools hire. I guess I'll have to do another post when I've time lol.

    Are you looking to teach in Japan, then?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tomereader. I came across your blog a while back and I tried looking for your blog again as I am planning to try out for JET a second time round. Im surprise and glad to know that there is actually a JCF. I have been praying about JET for a while now. At the same time, Im in the midst of completing my Tesol in Sg. Are you still in Japan? Hope you are well. It seems like a really trying process to remain in Japan after JET.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mavis,

      So terribly sorry for this late late late reply!

      I'm still in Japan, and guess what... I've moved to Tokyo (read my most recent post to find out more)! Haha. There are many teaching jobs in Tokyo, so if you ever wanna move, let me know.

      I hope you made it to JET this year? If you did, you've probably already received news of your posting and are prepping for the move.

      I hope your prayers were answered in the best way God deemed possible, and He is with you wherever you are. :)

      Lemme know if you want to talk more about teaching or EFL or anything, really.

      Delete
  13. Hi! My name is Nicole. I came across your blog because I hope to move to Japan to teach English in the near future. I’m Singaporean. I’m looking into those big eikaiwas (AEON, Berlitz, ECC, Gaba). ECC looks good but they don’t look like they hire from Asia, I couldn’t find a contact page to ask them this question. What website would you suggest to find more English teaching jobs? I’m aware of Gaijinpot but is there anywhere else? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment