3.5 years of Osaka

Ermmmm... apologies. This is such a super delayed post I have no excuses. NONE. Not when I'm writing this four years AFTER I promised I would write an update about how I looked for a job after JET. Then again, who am I kidding, no one is actually waiting for an update haha.

And. Another unnecessary update, but....I'm writing this from Tokyo. I'll blog a little more about that, hopefully soon. Within 2 years. Which would be an improvement, I know. ;)

So. Where do I start?

Lemme recap.

I'm a Singaporean who was on the JET Programme in 2011 and was based in Mie Prefecture for two years - lovely quaint place which has sneakily gotten quite rooted in my heart.

After a few months of struggling to find jobs in Japan pending the end of an un-renewed JET Programme contract (my choice), I got wind of the Native English Teacher Programme in Osaka Prefecture (read more here) and sent in an application.

I waited. And waited. And waited. I still remember thinking, this has to be it. If I don't even get an interview, it would be an extremely clear sign from God that I was to return home.

My friend got herself an interview. I didn't, and straightaway I fell into a day's worth of useless and overly self-critical analyses of what I had done wrong. (I still do this now, but to a lesser extent, and mainly only because God has been graciously teaching me how to love myself more.)

Then a few days later, I got a call from an apologetic employee of the Osaka Prefectural Board of Education - the email inviting me to interview with them had been sent to the wrong email address, and they were very sorry, but could I come in for an interview the next day?

Of course, I went. Got the job. Was so moved by how God works to mould me and draw me closer to Him. Moved to Osaka. Stayed for three-and-a-half years, during which I met a great teacher who opened my mind and heart to this craziness that is EFL teaching, and was one of the reasons why I started studying for an MA in TESOL. But more on that later.

The NET Programme in Osaka, like many government-run EFL programmes in Japan, has its flaws and weaknesses, but one thing I will always be grateful for is that it hires teachers regardless of nationality. It was quite the forward-thinking program back then. Singaporean, Taiwanese, Filipino, Jamaican, Nigerian etc, it didn't matter, all that matters was and still is that the applicant has a passion for teaching and some teaching qualifications too.

Four years on, I am relieved to report that there are many more opportunities for citizens of the non-Big Seven countries to get English teaching jobs in Japan. Public and private schools or organisations hire almost any suitable and qualified person, just do your due diligence to check out the company or school before you accept their job offer. Friends and colleagues have recounted horror stories of buraku (black) companies who pay teachers less than what labour laws stipulate, don't provide employee and health insurance and who threaten to revoke company-sponsored visas as a means of controlling employee actions.

I was posted to a preparatory high school in northern Osaka (yes, the very area that was hit by the recent level 6 earthquake (level 6, not magnitude 6, the Japanese scale for earthquakes is different in that it measures earthquakes by how they affect human activity) on June 19. It was one of the best teaching experiences I had ever had, mainly due to the teachers, students, and the school's emphasis and approach to English education. It started me on the road to reevaluating my teaching skills and philosophy, and introduced me to individuals whose varied and very unique stances in the world of EFL teaching polished the rather rough idealistic me into a more settled, humble and practical teacher.

It might seem a little sad, but I'm less bubbly and energetic in the classroom and less interested in building rapport with students. However, my lessons are based more on pedagogy and teaching principles then an artful 'winging it' mentality.

Some days, I wish I were that kind of teacher again. To enter the classroom bent on creating and developing a connection with students, thinking I was righting a wrong, avenging the injustices brought upon them by the staid and strict education system.

But most days now, I am thankful that because I am aware of my short-comings as a teacher, I judge other teachers less. I learn from them more. Where I used to think I was the one who had the power to control and influence everything in the classroom - students' moods and motivation, teaching partners' energy levels and methods - I now understand and accept that the classroom is an oddity; there is nothing quite like it in the universe. One day it is a calm, beautiful mirror-like lake that absorbs and reflects everything that is given and transforms images into shimmering creations. And on another (the next day, even), stirred up by some mysterious natural phenomenon, it is wild and gray, angry waves refusing anything you offer, tossing it back at you almost playfully like it is a pathetic toy.

It is a strange human activity, teaching and learning. Learning is influenced by so many things, teachers really can't blame themselves for students' failures (nor accept students' successes as their own) if they have tried their best. They can (and usually do, the good ones) try to tweak and hone their craft, but it is an exercise that can in turns exhaust, yet encourage.

So here I am, after 3.5 years in Osaka and a year in Tokyo, a teacher so different from when I first started out, I could be an entirely different person altogether.

How have you changed as an educator over the years? Have you changed as an educator at all?

If you have any questions about the NET program in Osaka, do ask, I'll try my best to answer.

Perhaps my next post will be on the different approaches Japanese schools take towards English education, and how the Japanese English education system is changing.


Mata ne~

Comments

  1. Hello! I found your blog while searching for Singaporeans teaching in Japan on google. I read your post (Life after the BOE?) and am very very worried. Is finding an ALT job as hard as it is back in 2013?!

    To give you some context, I was inspired by Gaijinhan's blog sometime in 2013 too and have worked very hard to get a part time degree from SUSS (formerly unisim) in English Lang and Lit. Unfortunately, I do not have any teaching experience at all and have very low proficiency in Japanese Language (got N5 after 2nd attempt Dec 2017).

    I have always wished to live and work in Japan and am currently applying with Yamasa Institute to study Japanese Language for 6 months, starting next Apr 2019.

    Now my worries are that since my degree is not from a “top ranked university” like NUS/NTU, my proficiency in Japanese is subpar and I do not have any teaching experiences (nor do I have CELTA, TESOL etc), are my chances to get a teaching job in Japan doomed?! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for your questions!

      First though, congrats on getting your degree! It isn't easy, working and studying part time (just finished one myself, so I can understand some of what you went through).

      Lemme try to answer your questions:

      1) Don't worry about your Japanese proficiency. Sometimes, low proficiency is good, and desirable, because it creates an 'authentic' situation where English is needed as the medium of communication. When you get into a company though, looking like you're working hard on getting Japanese proficiency is a plus point - it'll help you communicate with your Japanese co-workers and show that you're respecting their culture. You most likely won't need Japanese proficiency for work admin stuff unless you're teaching and lecturing in a university.

      2) Don't worry about the 'quality' of your degree. There're so many teachers here who aren't from great universities - it's more of whether your study for the degree was carried out in English or not. A degree in E.Lit and E.Lang is more than good enough :D.

      3) DO worry about not being qualified in teaching. Sorry, am a teacher, I can't help it. It's better for the students and better for the teacher if the teacher has undergone some sort of teacher training. This is not to say that ALL teachers here have teaching qualifications - many don't. But a CELTA or TEFL cert will go a long way to make you more marketable and retainable as an EFL teacher in Japan.

      There're a whole bunch of TEFL certs available online, and CELTA can be gotten in an intensive one month course (the ones in Thailand and Vietnam are what I've heard most about. Quite 'affordable' at about 2000~3000 SGD too, as far as solid teacher training programs go.)

      Lemme know if you want information on those kind of courses.

      You could also volunteer in Singapore with teaching migrant workers English - those experiences will help you grasp the difficulties students (whose first language isn't English) have in the classroom - and it's a win-win for you and them :)

      I'd be happy to answer more questions if you have them. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the reply! I`m using another computer to reply and the account name seems wonky. I have taken a look at the CELTA programme and it looks a little intimidating to be honest... also as i have already committed to be studying Japanese for 6 months next Apr in Japan, i hope to find an Eng Teaching Job immediately after and i`m not sure when i would be able to do this CELTA programme :( Volunteering seems to be nice viable option, i would definitely look into that option!


    Worse come to worse, i`ll return to SG broke after 6 months and will try to apply to MOE/NIE to get a legit teaching cert lol (that's how badly i want to live in Japan) >_<

    That said, what are my chances to get an English teaching job in Japan without a CELTA? Do you have any more tips for me? Maybe to give you more context, i`m Singaporean Chinese male (just turned 30) I heard that people in their 40s still get accepted for JET but i am a little worried that my age might also affect me getting a job lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again!

    Thanks for the background information - I would say your chances are not bad... but only because there are some ermm dodgy companies in Japan that take most foreigners (without teaching qualifications - the company might provide some training for you!) who want to teach English. One caveat - they don't pay that well, and they might overwork you and there will be office politics, but if your desire to live in Japan overrides all that, you'll be ok.

    I'm just telling you the semi-worst-case scenario for you. This COULD happen. But if you meet the right people and you choose the right company (I heard Nova is not too bad, Aeon is ok too, and you can try ECC as well) you'll like living and working in Japan!

    Your age is totally fine, don't worry about that :)

    Here - https://itdi.pro/itdihome/ - there are free online TESOL courses here! You don't need an NIE teaching cert for teaching in Japan, really. It's kinda overkill and it'll delay your Japan career, seriously. You'll need to work for MOE for 3 years (plus a year of contract teaching) if you want the government to pay the NIE tuition fees for you. Many of the JETs who came on the programme with me didn't have an NIE teaching cert.

    All in all, just try (but be smart about it). You never know what can happen - things work so differently here in Japan that you might actually be the next big thing here, who knows? :D

    JET is a great way to get your foot into the English teaching scene here in Japan. Please try to apply for it!

    Any more specific questions would help me help you more! Lemme know :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks again for the tips! Sorry for the late reply, trying to get together the documents and stuff for the school to help apply for my student visa soon ^^

      Hm, reason i did not apply for JET is because i am not confident to be selected and i do not want to wait for 4-6 months just to get rejected :'(

      Are those Eikaiwa (aeon, ecc etc)? If possible i would prefer ALT rather than Eikaiwa as i prefer the Mon - Fri work hours (and weekends off). I heard that Eikaiwa is usually 2 weekdays off (or 1 wkend+1wkday), i would want to attend church on the weekend and have another day on the weekend to rest if possible. But with that said i will keep my options open if things get bad haha! Do you know any dispatch ALT companies which are okay? (So far i here Interac, borderlink etc)..

      Delete

Post a Comment