After JET... or a little before after JET

Well, I really wanted to start blogging about AFTER JET since I'm now on another programme called NET, in Osaka Prefecture. I have SO MANY things to tell anyone who reads this blog to find out more about JET, or Singaporeans who want to know what working in Japan is like.

BUT. I have to start at the beginning, or actually, the beginning of the end. And that's the farewell in Nabari.

Two months ago, on July 31st, I ended my contract with the Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme. And left what I now term, my hometown, my furusato, Nabari.

Sayonara parties started at the end of June, courtesy of my Tsu friends. Sayonara parties went into full swing 3 weeks before my contract ended. No, really. For nearly two weeks, I had a sayonara party (or two) EVERYDAY. I had one in each class, and then I would have one in the evening, dinner or supper. Students were writing farewell cards, baking me cakes and biscuits, saying really nice things to me. There was even a class of girls, 80% of whom were crying their eyes out, and made me cry as well too.

My teachers threw a party for me at a yakiniku restaurant, and I was surprised that so many teachers went. I had actually thought that only the English teachers would be there, and maybe the principal or vice-principal as well, but... the PE teachers were there, the business teachers, the first grade home room teachers, the Japanese Language teachers etc etc. I felt so blessed... and so happy that they liked me enough to come to a party for me. Or maybe they just thought, hey, this is great time to catch up with my friends anyway, haha. Which is more likely the case.

On the last day of school, I had to give a farewell speech to the school. My Japanese teacher had suggested giving the speech in the Kansai dialect, as it is often used by Japanese comedians and Japanese people usually find it really funny. THANK GOD he suggested that. I wrote out my speech in English and he translated it into the Kansai dialect, which was a stroke of providence, haha, because my speech in English was JUST SO WEEPY AND EMOTIONAL. Giving the speech in Kansai-ben gave my sad speech a comic slant, so I didn't do the embarrassing thing on stage and sob uncontrollably. Got many laughs from students, got compliments from teachers, and felt relieved I ended my tenure at Nabari High on a good note.

Packed up ALL my things. I counted nearly 25 boxes, not including bags of linen, three suitcases and a few drawers and kitchen storage stuff. My JTE looked at what I had accumulated (I came to Japan with two suitcase only!) and told me very nicely, "I think you've enjoyed your life in Japan." Haha. Nice way of putting things.

Left my things at school, so that when I returned to Japan at the end of August, I would be able to get a moving company to move my stuff to Osaka. The teachers were very kind to let me do that, and I will forever think of Nabari fondly.

I'm so glad my successor is a nice person! I wouldn't have wanted any one else for my students. God really knows best because having met him and talking to him, I feel like I can leave Nabari High without worries.

Next post will be on getting a job in Japan after JET. SO MANY THINGS TO TELL YOU. Those of you who are interested, anyway. Mata ne~

Comments