Driving in Japan

So, this is the first time I've rented a car, and it's been a great experience!

It's really easy. They only needed my passport, and my international driver's permit (which, if I did not produce, they would have been happy to take my Singapore Driving License!!).

There are two car rental services 2 minutes from my home, so it's really easy to rent a car for me. It's not that pricey too! 3200 yen (about S$50) for 12 hours, inclusive of insurance. I have to top up the petrol too.

Let's talk about the price first. To rent the car is about 2600 yen actually.


Then, the insurance is 1000 yen. I'm not very sure what the 476 yen was for (but it was subtracted from the actual payment, actually), then the tax (156 yen) is about 5% of the amount. I also had a discount of 500 yen cos it was the first time I rented the car from them.

The car was so cheap because it was more than 3 years old. The mileage meter read about 44900 km, so it is still reasonably young, in Singapore terms. It was an automatic. And it was SO CLEAN.

The staff at the car rental service were very service-orientated and professional. On Thursday, I went to the store with my supervisor, who translated all the information for me. Today, when I went in to get the car, they had HANDWRITTEN all the stuff they had to tell me in ENGLISH. lol. So well-prepared! It was really painless.

After the payment, I went out, and the car's engine was already on, the air-conditioning blasting merrily away (so the car was suitably cool when I entered it), and the two staff waited a few steps away to help me if I needed anything. I might have scared them though, haha. Being used to a manual car, I tried the clutch then the brakes. But it was an auto car, so what I stepped on first was the brake pedal, then of course, wanting to test the 'brakes', I instead stepped hard on the accelerator!! The staff must have been like.... Can this girl drive anot.... Rev the engine until like that for what.... haha. Anyway, I settled in, waved goodbye to them, and went on my way.

I cannot emphasize enough on the importance of a navigation system or an iPhone with the 'Maps' app (or barring either, a map) while driving in Japan. There are just too many roads, unlike Singapore. Ah, driving in Singapore is so convenient...

Drove to Tsu without any mishap. Then drove to Kameyama City to pick Gloria up, got lost twice on the way, arrived about 15 min late, then drove to Suzuka City's Bell Shopping Center. Quite massive, by Mie standards, but Vivocity in Singapore's bigger. Bought futons for family visit. Got lost trying to get back to Kameyama, but as I tried to get back on the correct road, something happened which made me SO HAPPY to be in Japan.

Japanese drivers are really polite people. If you give way to them, they bow, yes, they actually BOW to you over their steering wheel. Well, while waiting to turn right, there was a line of cars blocking my view.


There was sort of a 'yellow box' situation where I was, since cars on the outside lane (red car lane) could advance, but the inside lane (yellow car lane) could not. The cars on the inside lane were blocking my view though, so I could not turn right safely. Super nice and good looking driver (of silver car) actually gestured to me to stop, then checked his left side mirror to see if there were any oncoming cars. Seeing it was safe for me to go, he gestured for me to advance. WASN'T THAT SO CONSIDERATE of him? Would I do that in Singapore? I don't think there was ever a situation in which I could have helped someone out the same way, but if there were, would I? Would Singaporeans do that?

Sent Gloria home, drove back to Nabari, and got lost twice haha. Not the map's fault! Sometimes I forget which is left and right that's all. Made it back safely though, with enough time to go to Max Valu to get some groceries!

Went to the petrol station, and in my limited Japanese, asked the staff to fill the tank. He looked at me quizzically, but I'm used to it. I look like the Japanese, but once I speak, they so know I'm not one of them. I can sometimes hear them thinking, 'Why didn't she study harder in school to speak Japanese well!?' haha. Anyway, petrol cost 1800 yen for about 12 litres. That's about S$2.30 per litre? Quite ex, but I might have put it the more expensive type of petrol.

I have tried this fruit called the Japanese Pear Apple. Or Apple Pear. Can't remember.


I like it very much!! It has the shape of an apple, the colour and taste of a pear, and the texture is not as sandy as a pear, not as crisp as an apple. Something in between. My mum will be happy to know I eat some fruit, at least.

Went to Nagoya yesterday to apply for a multiple re-entry permit. Without this, if I had to leave Japan in an emergency, I would not be allowed back in again.

I thought that Nagoya has A LOT of people. Then I realized, hey, that's normal in Singapore! Then it dawned upon me, with horror, that I was becoming a bit of a country person. I felt a little claustrophobic in the city. I wanted out. I wanted to go back to Nabari. I breathed better in Nabari, was more comfortable in the Nabari. I wanted more space and real greenery, not tall steel buildings growing like shiny metallic flowers from the concrete soil. LOL. How will I survive Singapore next time!!?? Must make sure I visit enough cities to ensure I do not become a country BUMpkin (what Jia called me).

Nagoya has wonderful food though. Ate a 880 yen meal which was SO YUMMY and put me in such a good mood, I felt so zen after.

Argh!! Had photos but accidentally deleted them all. Ah well, there'll be more, I'm sure!

Heading to Osaka tomorrow. Will ensure that photos I take there aren't erased. :) Ja ne!

Comments